Tuesday 25 April 2017

31 Days of Halloween

*Warning* longest blog post yet!

Last October I decided to give myself a little nail art challenge. Turns out it wasn't quite so little and was definitely a challenge (especially whilst working full time) but it was so much fun.
The challenge was to paint a different Horror or Halloween film on my nails every day for the entire month. I also watched each of the films as I was painting them.

Day 1:
 
The Shining (1980)
I'm a huge Stephen King fan and although he's not a fan of the film, it's still a classic.

Day 2:
 
Hocus Pocus (1993)
My favourite Halloween film since I was a kid. It's one of my traditions to watch this every year at Halloween.

Day 3:
 
Scream (1996)
One of my first ever horror films when I was 13.
This was also the first ever portrait I painted on my nail and I was so happy with how it turned out, it became a bit of a theme...

Day 4:
 
Dracula (1931)
Love an old black and white classic and no one does Dracula like Bela Lugosi.

Day 5:
 
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The prosthetic makeup in this film is so iconic. It still gives me nightmares.

Day 6:
 
Carrie (1976)
Another Stephen King. This was actually the first King book I read and the film holds up really well in comparison.

Day 7:
 
The Exorcist (1973)
Another prosthetic make-up classic which still holds up as absolutely terrifying.
By this point I started to get a bit behind because of work so the next few are all painted on the one hand.

Day 8:
 
Beetlejuice (1988)
You can't go wrong with a Tim Burton classic at Halloween! And what a soundtrack too! My favourite quote has to be "Live people ignore the strange and unusual. I myself am strange and unusual."

Day 9:
 
The Birds (1963)
This was actually my first time watching this film. Hitchcock really knows how to make an intense thriller.

Day 10:
 
Candyman (1992)
This one definitely still scares me the most, yet it's really quite beautiful. Just don't say his name 5 times.

Day 11:
 
The Addams Family (1991)
Morticia and Gomez are life goals for sure; "When we're together darling, every night is Halloween." Also super pleased with how Uncle Fester turned out. Took about an hour to get the shading just right on that one.

Day 12:
 
Psycho (1960)
The most classic of the Hitchcock's.

Day 13:
 
Friday the 13th (1980)
Can't beat a good old classic slasher film. The variety of deaths in this are so creative. Amazing prosthetic makeup work by my idol Tom Savini.

Day 14 and 15:
 
The Blair Witch Project (1999) and The Witches (1990)
Decided to get two witchy films on the one hand for these.
I saw Blair Witch Project at the cinema back in the day, was a lot more terrifying then. The Witches was another childhood classic for me.
Also my nails had started breaking off at work by this point so they're looking a bit worse for wear. Didn't stop me continuing on with the challenge though, just gave me less painting space.

Day 16:
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
A spoof of my favourite film of all time, Dawn of the Dead (1978). It's definitely become a British classic choc full of awesome references. (You may also notice I cheated a tiny bit and left the blood splatter on one of my nails from the Friday the 13th set.)

Day 17 and 18:
Frankenstein (1931) and Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Another two classic black and white horror films. Such a beautiful and sad story. I also have these two tattood on my arm because I love their iconic makeup.

Day 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23:
 
The Omen (1976), Jaws (1975), Saw (2004), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and Suspiria (1977)
Another mega catch up after a week of late shifts. Suspiria's definitely my favourite film of the bunch. It has stunning cinematography and a super creepy soundtrack.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to complete the challenge as it got a bit much for me with my work schedule. I did manage to do my final hand however:
Day 31:
 
Halloween (1978)
Had to do Halloween on Halloween. Jamie Lee Curtis is one of my favourite actresses and she took the title from her mother as scream queen after this classic. Love a horror film with a strong female lead. 💪🏻

I also finally got the Halloween tattoo I've been wanting for a couple of years now! Done by the fabulous Rhiannon at True Tattoo London.
 

And here's a pic of my Halloween makeup:
 
Just got this awesome Ariel wig so I decided to go with a skeleton mermaid.

Might only be April now but I'm looking forward to Halloween again already! 🎃👻

No comments:

Post a Comment